call us 647-542-5624
WARD 1 needs
Ian Sinclair . . .
A FRESH VISION FOR WARD 1
Rehabilitation of Pits and Quarries
For many decades Caledon has been a major source of sand, gravel, and stone for projects in the GTA and beyond. This has been both a blessing and, for some, a curse and source of conflict. These operations have been established on the understanding that they would be an “interim land use” and that the sites would be rehabilitated to a beneficial use. Unfortunately, due to poor planning and oversight, both provincially and municipally, very little in the way of rehabilitation has occurred. After over 64 years of mining there are no beneficial new land uses in sight.
As your new Regional Councillor my vision would bring about a new proactive planning approach to deal with the large number of gravel strip mines scarring our landscape.
When there is no vision there is nothing to aim for… right now there are thousands of acres of aimless holes in the ground with no coherent vision of their future uses.
For example, my Vision for gravel strip mine rehabilitation south and west of Caledon Village would comprise …
A comprehensive Coulterville Special Policy Area Study that would achieve …
- New, viable land uses after strip mining that would contribute to local community culture, economy, health, sense of belonging, etc.
- Triathlon [swim, run, bike] event facilities
- Canoe/kayak/white-water courses for recreation and competitions
- Sailboard/dingy sailing providing opportunity for skills training and pleasure
- Scuba [open water 50 ft. deep] opportunities
- Public beaches, properly groomed and supervised
- Cold water sport fishery
- Migratory waterfowl stopovers
- Multi-use trails
- Tourist/athlete hotel accommodation to attract visitors to our beautiful town
- Fitness training facilities
- Ecological restoration [wetland & woodland]
- Possible future need for a common, state of the art, Sewage Treatment Plant
- Work to achieve the benefits of collaboration with the private sector
- Minimize day to day municipal involvement
There are many examples world-wide of just such a vision being effectively implemented. One is the Penrith ‘Lake’ area of Australia where Canadian Simon Whitfield won an Olympic Gold medal in triathlon.
Please see the following links for more information regarding Penrith …
As your Regional Councillor I will pursue these goals as part of an integrated vision which would serve as an example for all aspects of municipal affairs in Caledon.
It’s time …to CHOOSE INTEGRITY
It’s time … to CHOOSE EXPERIENCE
It’s time … to CHOOSE KNOWLEDGE
It’s time …to CHOOSE
IAN SINCLAIR for REGIONAL COUNCILLOR
© 2018 Sinclair For Regional Councillor Committee All rights reserved
Please DONATE now
Make Cheques to:
Campaign of Ian Sinclair
c/o 16795 McLaughlin Road
Caledon ON L7K 1T5